Friday, July 08, 2005

The Zahir

Wow... Its almost two weeks since I last wrote a blog, that's pretty long for me. Anyway, there are a few things that I want to write, but I'll start with "The Zahir" first. So if you are reading my blog, you can keep a lookout for my next few blogs. Well, "The Zahir" is Paulo Coelho's latest book. Paulo Coelho is my all time favourite author. Among all his books, my favourite is "The Alchemist". If you've not yet read this book, go and read it! I promise you won't be disappointed. Anyway, back to "The Zahir"... When I first saw it, I marvelled at the thickness, it isn't those hundreds of pages kind of book, its just that I realise his books are getting thicker and this is the thickest ever since I started reading the books by Paulo Coelho. Actually, this book is dedicated to his wife but I feel its also a little bit of Paulo Coelho's autobiography, there are just some reflections of his life. Anyway, this book tells of a man whose wife disappeared all of a sudden without leaving any trace. She simply disappeared, but the thing is... She didn't die, she was waiting for him somewhere else. As she was waiting, the man started looking for her. The man went through a lot, disappointment, disillusionment but at the end of it, he came to realise and understand what true love was. Because of his search for her, he came to realise the power of destiny and also what it means to really follow your heart. I know this sounds like a love story but for me, it is not about the romantic part, I mean, it never was romantic. More importantly, it was the journey and it just reflects life itself. There are many things that we will go through in life, but each trial is a stepping stone, through every problem that we face, we learn to solve them, when we fall, we learn to pick ourselves up. Sometimes, the most important thing isn't the destination, it is the journey because the destination can be a source of motivation but the journey itself teaches us lessons that we will remember for life...