Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Where does my papa money go?

Yes, the question is where does my papa money go? If you have been reading the papers lately, you will surely know about the defamation suit that NKF filed against SPH, only to withdraw it on the second day of the proceedings. So what's that? Anyway, I believe that many people, not only me is very upset at NKF. Ok, before I start rattling on and on, let me get things straight. I have nothing against NKF. They've done a pretty good job in helping patients with needs to subsidise their dialysis, have prevention schemes and increase the awareness of kidney failure. These are really beneficial for society. Problem is, why can't they be transparent? So it took 3 times for the CEO to finally reveal his salary. So how how much does he earn? Gasp! $25k a month and 12 months bonus! Now that we are suffering from donation fatigue, is he willing to donate his bonus? Plus there are so many NKF charity shows a year. Now it makes you really wonder, how much of your donation really goes into helping the patients. The CEO travels first class, drives a mercedes, and they have taps that cost $900 plus! Furthermore, they have enough funds for 30 years, so why did they say that its only enough for 3 years?! Yes, I am irritated, super irritated and upset. Why? Because my father has been donating to NKF monthly for the past 10 over years. It started from $5, then $10, then $15 and now $20 a month. That means $240 a year! And my papa does't earn much ok. So where does his money go into? I am fine if the CEO earns $25k, and travels first class. Cos he is CEO mah, so these must be fitting of his status. But a 12 month bonus? It ain't fair when the public donating can't even get a 1 month bonus! And to think that he is enjoying a 12 month bonus?! And why do they need taps that cost $900 plus?! The one at my house costs only $100 plus, can you imagine? With that money can buy much more taps! I know the NKF wants to create the best environment for their patients but if much of their funds comes from public donations, then they should spend it wisely not lavishly. They can have excellence but it doesn't mean that it has to be expensive.