Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Bad customer service

Joshua and I went to a foreign bank last week to apply for a renovation loan. We chose the bank simply because it offered the lowest interest rates. Other than that, there would be no other reason for me to step into the bank at all.

Anyway, my first impression of the Relationship Manager I met was not good. Well, he was a tall lanky guy, well dressed but not sharp at all. Halfway into our session with him, I seriously started to think if I should get someone else. For every question I asked, he had to go out to ask his colleague. What about knowing your work?! Even if you are a rookie, at least will know something right?! Anyway, the last straw came when he said we couldn't apply as joint applicants as we are not married! Hello?!?!? I brought along our ROM registration form to certify that we are getting married on 5 Dec! I turned towards Joshua and told him to call a friend of ours who I was very sure was not married when he and his then fiancee applied for the renovation loan. I was right! The RM then called his colleagues upstairs and confirmed that we could apply for the loan.

Fast forward to Monday, our loan was approved and Joshua and I was there to sign the letter of offer. I was early and Joshua was still on his way. I went into the bank and looked for the RM. He said I looked different because I was standing up and because the last time he saw me I was sitting down. *Roll eyes*

If you have nothing better to say, do not say anything. I'll be fine even if you talk to me about the weather.

I started reading the letter of offer and I was barely into the first paragraph when I realised that something was wrong. We applied for a fixed interest rate loan, not a floating one! The RM went into the "Oh no, this has never happened before, how did this happen"? As if I could answer his question. Duh.

I asked the RM what could be done. He had to check with his colleague. Nothing new about that. He came back and told me that I would have to come back on Tuesday as the bank needed one day to make the amendments! So... I raised my voice. It was totally unacceptable. How could they waste my time like this?! I made my way to the bank because they said the documents were ready and for goodness sake, the letter of offer has a standard template. Why would they need one day to recalculate, or change whatsoever?! I told the RM that I wanted the changes made within the next hour and that I was not going to waste my time and effort to come back another day. Shouldn't he check the document before I come?! So, he told me to have lunch first since I am hungry and he was hungry too! Who cares about him being hungry?! My goodness. Mind you, there was NO apology from him.

Sigh... There is still a part 2 to this but I have no energy to write a long long essay. The good thing? The loan is approved, I collected the cheques and I do not need to go back to the bank for the longest of times.