Sunday, October 29, 2006

Mundane?

What is the mundane?

Mundane can used to describe our work, our studies, and in fact our daily lives. Aren't we living the mundane every day? Doing the same things over and over again. Sometimes, there might be problems, obstacles, frustration but as you cross over and get over the problem, you resume your mundane life again. The truth is - we spent most of our time doing the mundane. I won't say that I totally enjoy my work but I love the people and that makes a lot of difference. Wendy and I spoke on the phone last Friday. It is without a doubt that she has learned new things in her new job, found new colleagues and faced new challenges but she felt that people in her workplace take their jobs for granted and felt that her new work was not as significant as what she was doing before. (Wendy, correct me if I am wrong ok?)

Anyway, I didn't really get the significance part until Sunday when Pastor Kong preached about the marketplace. The marketplace, otherwise known as the "secular" to Christians, in fact, means mundane in Greek. So the world out there equals to mundane. Interesting isn't it? People always think that the world is exciting but the church is boring. But this is no longer the case. At least not for City Harvest. Over the years I've been here, we have moved by leaps and bounds, in ways I would never have known but yet, I am still flowing with the church, and very happy to be part of what God is doing over here. So much for significance, this was further amplified when I met a few friends for dinner...

I haven't met this group of friends for quite sometime, so I was really looking forward to seeing them. After a year of not being in contact, all of us were naturally interested to find out what each other was doing. As the night wore on, I started thinking. Not that my friends' work is not important but in terms of significance, I realised that I was doing more. I am not trying to put anyone down but somehow through the conversation, I realised the significance in my work. Reading the newspapers is no longer a chore for me now but rather a necessity. I read beyond them sometimes and I've come to know a lot. In any case, please dun think that I am paid just to read newspapers! I do a lot of things ok?! Anyway... Too much thoughts going on in my mind now. I need to organise. On this topic, so long for now...