Sunday, July 30, 2006

NDP Preview 2006

Yipee! I went for the NDP Preview yesterday. Although it was not the actual parade but who cares! As long as I enjoyed myself and its been ages since I last attended the NDP. I reached the stadium around 4 pm and the sun was really shining right at me. No doubt it was hot but the cap and the mini-fan provided in the goodie bag made the difference. Speaking about the goodie bag, it was really heavy. There was a Nokia 3250 handphone torchlight (the kid behind me exclaimed: Daddy, there's a handphone!), an Akira mini-fan, lots of vouchers, snacks and of course, Newater. Hehe...

Anyway, this year's NDP is a little different. Although as usual you have four items of performance but the visual impact was really impressive. The effective use of lights and colours really worked very well and it really awed me. And of course, the most impressive item was the fireworks! They were really fantastic! Can't describe them in words, you got to see it yourself!

Sadly to say, this is the last NDP in the National Stadium before it is demolished. So attending this preview (so what if it is not the actual day!) seemed significant. Probably, this would be the last time that we see the Kallang wave too. Thankfully, there were no ugly Singaporeans at work (at least I did not get to witness them). Everyone moved in an orderly manner although there was a little bit of pushing and shoving but it was still pretty alright except the humid weather didn't do any justice to the crowd.

On another note, if you are there for such a celebratory event, please be excited ok? All around me, people were cheering, clapping, whistling and enjoying themselves except this family behind me. They did not bring out any goodies from the goodie bag. No clappers, no torchlight (when night had fallen) and no cheering. The son had this glum face that looked as if someone had owe him a million bucks. Hey, you need to be loud and excited for this kind of event can?! If you are not doing anything, then why be there? Duh leh...