Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Moving into uncharted territory

Its been one and a half weeks since I started on my new portfolio. So far, everything seems okay and the workload is picking up. For one week, I read this book on xxx parliamentary system but I totally did not understand what the author was writing about. In the end, I just went to Wikipedia and printed out what I needed. Ha. Wikipedia helps!

Anyway, my colleague was even suggesting that I make a field trip to xxx country. I appeared keen but at the back of my mind, alarm bells were ringing! I don't want to make the trip with my boss! *Screams*

.....

Periodically, the office conduct spot checks. They check if we carry classified documents home, if we have a camera handphone, if we have a MP3 player which we did not surrender, if we have thumbdrives, etc etc. Well, today was one of those days. In fact, I haven't been checked for the last six months because I usually work late in the office. See the connection? Work late = Getting away with spot checks, which in my opinion, it shouldn't be this way. They should check those who stayed late in the office, check those who come back to work during the weekends, and check the bosses as well! Why are they exempted?!

Back to the spot check, most of us are always irritated with it because the two officers conducting the spot checks always have a lot of comments. Check your wallet, check your organiser and then exclaim "Oh, you recently bought xxx from yyy". Or see your big bag, and go "Oh, your bag is so big, so many things, so messy!". Or "why do you have an ang bao?"

I mean, what has that got to do with you? It is no wonder that they always offend people. To counter the two officers, my colleague stuffed her sanitary pads into a pouch with the words "what are you looking at? sucka" and the officer (who happens to be a male) asked, "do you mind if I take a look at this?" My colleague goes "if you don't mind", and of course the officer quickly zips it back up again. With that, my colleague stormed out. Hahaha.